Saturday 31 March 2012

Adults In The Playground (Slight Rant Ending Warning )

I found myself waiting (waitressing) on a woman yesterday evening that I soon found out to be a total bitch.

My manager had informed me that we needed to take a drink off her bill on behalf of the General Manager because she'd recently put into a complaint to head office about the cleanliness of the toilets there. (Of course she hadn't actually bothered to mention it to the manager of our place. No. Because that would be the logical thing to do wouldn't it?)

Anyway. I bust my ass (excuse the expression-Fawlty Towers reference) making sure she and her friends had a good meal (although later was unsure why...).

Sounds a bit like a boring rant I know but this is where things started to click for me. My manager had named the woman to me and it rang a bell in my mind. Oh yes. Yes. She was the mother of a girl who I went to school with.... A girl who was a complete bitch.

Yep, this two faced nature of not talking about a problem with the person actually involved/responsible was like having a back and forth deja-vu. I could see clearly now where this girl had got her snide streak from- Her mother.

When you're at school you think that you won't have to be involved with these people anymore. It's fine, you think, I won't have to see them and experience this pettyness anymore!
And then you have to serve their mother in a restaurant and it's like being back in the playground all over again.

I do realise that it doesn't sound like a complete bitch of a thing for this woman to do but it's everything else around it that I won't go in to otherwise I'll just be writing a detailed entry about my shift at work.

Anyway. To back up my annoyance with this. She tipped me 2.5%. That's two point five percent. *



*It's a huge insult to any member of waiting staff to be tipped so poorly (unless you've actually been shit) - I'd prefer to earn no service than a meagre amount. A tip is meant to be given for good service so to be given a  really poor tip (not just a bit below 10% but way below) is like being told you've given bad service. If someone doesn't tip at all you can brush it off that they're just people who don't tip at all no matter how good the service is and some people can tip you in a non-financial way by just being so damn nice and non-demanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

dreamhost coupon