Tuesday 17 May 2011

She Wore Pink Sunglasses

I've decided my tool to surviving the roads when cycling (Yep, still haven't evolved past the piece of scrap metal.) is my sunglasses.

They're wonderful. Pink hearts with darkened lenses. I purchased them from Portabello Road market a few years ago (therefore, they're vintage, right??) for a modest amount of money.



So, what's so special about these glasses I hear you ask. Do they have rearview mirrors attached? Have a pop up sign attached, warning people of my bad skill of staying in a straight line? Blow smoke signals? Blind drivers into stopping for me?

Nope. They're just pink heart, sunglasses. My 7 month old niece pulls them off rather well actually.

(If she was bigger then I'd definitely go as far as to say they'd look better on her than me.)


So these glasses are not magic. But. They lull people into the illusion that I'm younger than I am. They see bright, shaped glasses on a pink bike (didn't I mention that before?) and immediately '7 year old' springs to their mind. This means people stop for me, let me pass and generally are a lot more patient with my speed and slow progress.
I don't wear them purely for this reason though. I actually like to kid myself that they make me look cute. In an ever-so-ironic way.

It makes me wonder though, when do you stop being able to get away with these things? Are you ok to take on child-like qualities (and dress sense) until you're 25? 30? 40??

I think this may take longer to explore....

No comments:

Post a Comment

dreamhost coupon